Services - Marriage Commissioner

Marriage Commissioner Randall Edge performs wedding ceremony services for the solemnization of marriages normally within the boundaries of the City of Regina. This is the area to which he has been appointed to provide service by the Saskatchewan government. 
All appointment bookings are made on a preliminary reservation basis.  To secure a booking, Randall does not require a deposit to confirm a booking but does request that a booking couple completes a MA-1 Information Form .  The completed form can be faxed to the secure and confidential fax at 855-365-2144 or by email (by scanning the MA1 document) to  This is the only way to change your booking from a preliminary reservation to a confirmed booking.  The information contaioned on this form is also used by Randall to prepare the legal documents that are signed during the wedding service.
Preliminary reservations date and times are held for 60 days.  Randall reserves the right to cancel preliminary reservations after 60 days in the circumstance were there has been no confirmation of the date and time requested by the couple (confirmation is done by submitting a completed MA1 form to Randall).  The couple is free to later make inquiry if their date and time is still available and if it is Randall is happy to re-book a new preliminary reservation that will be held for another 60 days.
The basic fee for a Marriage Solemnization ceremony:  $100.00 per ceremony performed (which includes the cost of a wedding rehearsal as well). Tips are gratefully appreciated but are at the absolution option of the wedding couple.  Please provide the payment in the same envelope that contains the original marriage license form when Randall arrives on wedding day.  Randall must be given the original marriage license form before the wedding ceremony can be performed.  Randall accepts payment by cash, cheque, or visa/mastercard (please provide Randall with an email address if paying by credit card). (There is no charge for mileage for ceremonies within the boundaries of Regina)
Randall can provide to an all-weather proof venue, as Randall is able to arrange use of the Sanctuary at the Unitarian Fellowship Center at 2700 College Avenue (at Angus Street) for a booking fee of $125.00. This is a great setting for wedding pictures and is available year round for booking.  That means Randall's fee combined with the facility fee is a total of $200 altogether.  You also may wish to consider reserving the Sanctuary as your backup location in the event of rain or wind storms.
Marriage Commissioners are sometimes referred to by their former name (before 1996), namely "J.P." (Justice of the Peace).  Randall will respond to the term "JP".
Under the requirements of the Marriage Act, 1997, the couple to be married should avoid the consumption of intoxicating beverages (etc.) prior to the conduct of the marriage ceremony. The couple should possess the ability to speak and comprehend the English language in order to understand the legal nature of the marriage vows. The Act also stipulates that the timing of marriage ceremonies between the hours of 10pm and 6am (22:00 to 06:00) should also be avoided. The couple is expected to provided two witnesses for the ceremony, both of which are eighteen years of age or older.

Changing Your Legal Name

Changing Your Last Name after becoming Married

A legal name change can be registered when you get legally married (if you were born in Canada). If you were not born in Canada, you will need to change your landed residency card or citizenship card.  If you have a common-law spouse and you want to change your name, you must file a declaration to that effect with Vital Statistics, for more information call Vital Statistics at 1-800-667-7551 for more information. If you are already married and you want to legally change your name and the name of your spouse, you must obtain the written consent of your spouse. If you have a child between the ages of 14 and 18 and you want to legally change that child’s name, you must obtain the written permission of that child. You must obtain the written consent of any other person who shares legal custody of any child whose name is being changed. If you cannot obtain the written consent that is required, a court order dispensing with consent may be submitted instead. Check your documents:

•Proof of residency for yourself and everyone whose name appears on the application – copies of Saskatchewan Health Cards usually suffice.   

•An official birth certificate for each person whose name is to be changed as long as those birth certificates were issued in Canada or the United States – if a person was born elsewhere, official Certificates of Canadian Citizenship or official immigration documents must be submitted).   

•A completed Change of Name Application form and the written consent of those whose names will be affected by the application (if required). A Change of Name Application form may be obtained by contacting our Vital Statistics at 1-800-667-7551 or visiting their office at 2130 11th Avenue, Regina, Saskatchewan S4P 0J5.

•An official marriage certificate (if you are married).   

•An official death certificate (if you are widowed).   

•An official or a certified photocopy of the Decree Absolute or Certificate of Divorce (if you are divorced).   

•An official or a certified photocopy of any agreement, judgment, Decree Nisi or other court order granted with respect to the custody of any child(ren) named in the application.   

•An affidavit signed before a Notary Public, Justice of the Peace, or Commissioner for Oaths declaring that the statements made in the application for change of name are true.

 What can I change my surname to?

When you get married, you can change your surname to:

•the Surname (Last Name) of your spouse

•a hyphenated form of your Surname and the Surname of your spouse (commonly done in Quebec) Note that a surname can only be composed of two separate names joined by a hyphen (e.g. Smith-Jones)

•your pre-marriage Surname

•your birth Surname

The Sanctuary at the Unitarian Center (2700 College Avenue at Angus Street)

The Sanctuary.
Consider a unique setting for your wedding solemnization ceremony.  Marriage Commissioner Randall Edge is pleased to suggest the Sanctuary at Regina’s Unitarian Fellowship Center.  The Sanctuary is located at 2700 College Avenue (at Angus Street).  There is ample parking in the area. Randall can arrange a booking of the Sanctuary for $125.00 for a small wedding (under 20) or $175.00 for a larger (20+) group. 
The Sanctuary is available for booking most Saturday afternoons. 
To book, just email your planned date and time to Randall Edge at

Rotary Park on Bridge Avenue

Rotary Park

Rotary Park is located on Bridge Avenue (near Regina Avenue at Angus Street)

Never a need for a reservation or a fee.  Rotary Park is a quiet forgotten little park nestled in between Wascana Creek and Bridge Avenue near the bustle of downtown Regina.  Just west of the Victoria Street Bridge, there is ample parking on Bridge Avenue.  This is delightful setting for a small gathering for a wedding ceremony.  The park is shaded with trees and is really only visited by joggers on the bicycle path that winds through this little piece of urban forest. 

When is it time to Consider having a PA Sound system for your Wedding?

When is it time to Consider having a PA Sound system for your Wedding?

There are a few indicators that a PA system is needed:

1. Your audience count is approaching 70 or more persons. A good rule of thumb is that 70 guests is the point you should start to consider using a PA system.

2. The number of aisles for seats for your guests are eight rows long or longer. Most church pews are three feet distance from pew to pew and even if your guests are sitting in folding chairs, they’ll still take up about the same amount of space. So eight rows puts your back row of guests twenty four feet (24') from the front. That’s too far to hear well with the simple spoken voice; especially for those people in the back that are hard of hearing.

3. Your ceremony is planned to be held outdoors. Outdoor weddings are beautiful but they’re twice as hard to hear as indoor weddings. Inside, sound reflects and bounces back. Outside, it disappears into the wind.  Remember you’ll also have the sounds of nature to compete with at your outdoor ceremony (cars driving by, etc.)

What is you need to start?

You will be surprised how inexpensively you can rent the following items from your local musician supply store (like St. Johns Music or Long & McQuade):

1.  One wired microphone with an on/off switch.  The most common microphone found in hotels is the Shure SM-58. Avoid wireless microphones if possible.  They may seem convenient but your introduce challenges like having proper line of sight with the RF receiver and the life span of batteries for the microphone.  The use of microphone stand is optional.  The SM-58 does a pretty good job of coping with windy conditions as well.  It is a rugged and robust microphone that has been in active service for decades.

2.  Two 200 watt PA speakers with 1/4" Jack cabling works reasonably well.  These type of speakers work best elevated on tripods.  You really only need two at most wedding services.  Avoid use of wireless speakers. The problem with wireless devices is the RF (radio frequency) signals are blocked by water.  People are made up of 60% water and therefore when a person is in the line of sight of a wireless devices and the wireless antennae, the device will lose signal and you will get a static sound over the PA system.  Wired technology is reliable and safe.  It is preferred in a setting like a wedding; especially if the ceremony is being held out of doors.   The speakers should be place in front of the wedding party to avoid feedback squelches.

3.  One 4 channel mixer.  You can patch in your IPhone to the mixer using the ear phone jack of the IPhone that attaches to the mixer using RCA jacks. If you are using an IPhone or I pad or a Tablet, just make sure that the device is resting on a flat surface and is not moved during the wedding service.  Movement of the device may move the placement of the earphone jack that creates a crackling sound.

4.  A reliable person to take control of the mixer during the wedding service is the final essential part of your sound system.  Best to encourage this volunteer to attend your rehearsal so that they become comfortable setting up the equipment!  Now just load your playlist of songs into your playing device and you are on your way!