Changing Your Legal Name

Changing Your Last Name after becoming Married

A legal name change can be registered when you get legally married (if you were born in Canada). If you were not born in Canada, you will need to change your landed residency card or citizenship card.  If you have a common-law spouse and you want to change your name, you must file a declaration to that effect with Vital Statistics, for more information call Vital Statistics at 1-800-667-7551 for more information. If you are already married and you want to legally change your name and the name of your spouse, you must obtain the written consent of your spouse. If you have a child between the ages of 14 and 18 and you want to legally change that child’s name, you must obtain the written permission of that child. You must obtain the written consent of any other person who shares legal custody of any child whose name is being changed. If you cannot obtain the written consent that is required, a court order dispensing with consent may be submitted instead. Check your documents:

•Proof of residency for yourself and everyone whose name appears on the application – copies of Saskatchewan Health Cards usually suffice.   

•An official birth certificate for each person whose name is to be changed as long as those birth certificates were issued in Canada or the United States – if a person was born elsewhere, official Certificates of Canadian Citizenship or official immigration documents must be submitted).   

•A completed Change of Name Application form and the written consent of those whose names will be affected by the application (if required). A Change of Name Application form may be obtained by contacting our Vital Statistics at 1-800-667-7551 or visiting their office at 2130 11th Avenue, Regina, Saskatchewan S4P 0J5.

•An official marriage certificate (if you are married).   

•An official death certificate (if you are widowed).   

•An official or a certified photocopy of the Decree Absolute or Certificate of Divorce (if you are divorced).   

•An official or a certified photocopy of any agreement, judgment, Decree Nisi or other court order granted with respect to the custody of any child(ren) named in the application.   

•An affidavit signed before a Notary Public, Justice of the Peace, or Commissioner for Oaths declaring that the statements made in the application for change of name are true.

 What can I change my surname to?

When you get married, you can change your surname to:

•the Surname (Last Name) of your spouse

•a hyphenated form of your Surname and the Surname of your spouse (commonly done in Quebec) Note that a surname can only be composed of two separate names joined by a hyphen (e.g. Smith-Jones)

•your pre-marriage Surname

•your birth Surname